Sunday, September 12, 2010

Bahia de Los Angeles Village

We are going to try to catch up on our postings.  First we had to get reliable internet here in Bahia de Los Angeles.  With that now reliable, here we go, or this is where we've been.


We arrived here in Bahia de Los Angeles Village September 4th.  We are here along with many, many other boats waiting out the hurricane season above Latitude 27.  We finally caught up with SV Sea Bear, a boat we cruised with back in the Spring so we have our buddy boat back. 

Today here in the village was an organized "Hay Ride".  I'm not sure who organized it but anytime I hear of a ride to get provisions my ears perk up.  A local gringo comes down to the dock with his truck and trailer and loads up everyone and their fuel, water jugs, propane tanks and drives around the village stopping at the local markets for provisions and the fuel station for diesel and gasoline.  It was really quite a morning.  It was really a site to behold the truck and trailer full of gringos and fuel jugs going down the road.  I took some pretty good pictures of the episode.  I had been to 4 tiendas already, they where pretty obvious.  He took us to 2 additional tiendas I would have never found and one I thought only sold hardware.  You could actually by a gallon of milk and a bag of cement if you wanted to.  This is a cash only town and by the end of the morning I had actually spent all the pesos I had brought for the shopping excursion.
It was pretty funny shopping with so many boat people in the store at the same time.  The shopping philosophy is "see it, buy it" or it won't be there the next time you decide you really want it.  I totally scored 3 cans of Canada Dry ginger ale at one store but was denied club soda at the next.  I was about 1 minute too late.  They only had 4 cans of club soda, the nice man offered to share but I declined, after all I already had my ginger ale!

Click here for a slideshow.
This village is bigger then what I had imagined.  They do have electricity with street lights and one paved road going right down the middle of the village complete with a traffic circle!  No sidewalks, no atm, no bank, no cell tower.  They do have a community water tank of non-potable water.  Potable water can be purchased at the tiendas.  It's really not very big, if it was cooler I might actually walk the whole village, instead I sit in the cockpit and look around with my binoculars.  I've heard there is a museum here, I just need to find it before we leave.   I think it gives the history of the village and gold mining in the area.  I doubt it has A/C.

With the introduction of electricity the village now has internet.  Since Doug and Harold (SVSeaBear) are geeks we now have internet out on our boats and don't need to make the trek up to the small hotel or the internet cafe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment