Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Haul out in Mazatlan. What do I know, I'm just a chick.

I really should let Doug tell the haul out story, cause what do I know?  The haul out according to Linda..

I'm just a chick.  I don't know car parts let alone boat parts or why this and why that.  I guess I should have taken diesel mechanics 1A instead of sewing.  Everyone knows I don't sew so that was a waste of time in my youth.
3:00 PM haul out day.  Doug starts the engine.  Where are we going?  Over to the haul out.  I thought they were going to come over a look at the picture of the keel?  They never did, let's go.  Ahhh.  We have already had some trouble with bow lines, stern lines, fenders etc., it's just not quick anymore on this boat with the new solar rack on the stern.  The key is to never ever let a line drop in the water or it will get wrapped in the prop.  You add a slight breeze and backing into the lift area and I was looking a little like Bill the Cat doing a chinese fire drill.


It got the yards attention for sure that it was indeed 3:00 pm and time to lift us out.  They came down pronto.  So the idea was to just haul us out long enough for the surveyor to have a look and get a stuck valve replaced then splash. All in one day.  Sounds too quick right.  I thought so to.  After Tucker and I did a 4.12 climbing move to get off the boat we took a seat and watched.  So one has to ask the question?  Did you see that?  Is the prop suppose to move like that?

Hmm, apparently not.  That's not on the list of things to repair.  One thing lead to another and we stayed in the lift cradle in the yard all night long
What was suppose to be just in and out turned into 2 days in the yard.  The yard rates are more expensive than the slips.  We ended up on stands because they had a early morning lift and splash the next day.
Doug was able to repair the max prop.  However that is another paragraph all together:  Here goes,
He had the manual for the max prop and he read it.  Pretty amazing in itself.  The only problem with that was the manual was not for the max prop we bought (Who ever really checks).  This is pretty important because it gives you very specific instructions for setting the pitch.  (Also when he took the prop apart he took dishes from the galley to put all the pieces of the prop in to keep them together)  He justified this by saying he did not have any spares and we would be in a world of hurt if he lost anything.

So with the prop fixed, the fittings replaced and some minor bottom paint touch up we were scheduled for splash the next morning.  The plan was to go out to Stone Island and anchor.  So I needed groceries.


I ended up on the Blue bus heading to the Soriana but I got off at the MEGA market because, well I knew were I was.  So I shopped at the MEGA.  They pretty much have anything you need at the MEGA.  I bought so much stuff I had to get a taxi to get back to the marina.  It cost me 6 pesos to go to the MEGA and 70 pesos to return.  Oh well.  I got into an open air taxi.  I had to repack my groceries so they would not fall out of the taxi.  He told me to watch my stuff, I'm thinking yeah like he is going to stop if something falls out.
After grocery shopping everything needs to be unpackaged, repackaged and the veg needs to be cleaned prior to bringing onto the boat.  The boat is still on the stands in the yard.  Nothing is ever easy.  I start to go clean the veg in the marina sink then start wondering about the water, is it pottable etc.,  Short poll of several people in the marina was it was o.k.  Not without comments like oh you shopped at the MEGA you must be rich you should have shopped at the veg market.  Didn't I just ask you that yesterday?  I was just a little annoyed.  oh well live and learn.


I did a load of laundry and emptied the trash.  Good to go.
Splash morning:
With everything in place we were splashed.  There was a rookie at the controls of the boat cradle.  I really don't like people learning stuff when I'm involved.  O.k., yeah, o.k. checked all valves no leaks good to go.  Doug puts the boat in forward to head off the cradle sling and GOES BACKWARDS!
What the?  Wrong prop pitch.  The guy from the yard said "Is that a problem?" can't you just push the lever in the opposite direction?  Back in the sling, lift back out of the water.
Doug goes and gets the manual, it is the wrong manual for our prop.  Doug says "I think I know how to fix it. It'll be quick....
It's o.k. it is just a quick fix.  o.k?!?
There are really dark clouds to the west coming our way.  A big squall hits us with 30+ winds and heavy rain.  I head for shelter (actual went to buy tickets to Carnival) and Doug was still under the boat with the prop apart and my bowl.
Maybe it was a good thing we weren't trying to negotiate the tight, shallow marina with all that wind and rain.
After a while Doug says he's hungry, didn't get breakfast.  O.k. the closest place is a USA style hamburger place, be right back.  Tucker is still on the boat (Howling)  I can see the boat yard from the hamburger place.

While waiting for them to cook the hamburger I noticed the boat is going back in the water and I'm not there!  When he gave me the hamburgers I tossed the guy 200 pesos for two hamburgers and 2 colas and ran back to the yard I had a bad feeling.
Nothing like intuition.  Doug was in the water with his mask and fins on.  The rookie at the controls did not have the sling lowered enough and now it was wrapped on the prop.  I started eating the french fries, nothing like grease to calm you right down.
The guy asked me why I was so upset?  Boy did I need a JAMBA juice! (Inside joke)

So after the sling was taken off the prop and it appeared that the prop had no vibration issue we were off to the fuel dock for a final top off.  After topping off fuel and water it was time to head out for Stone Island.  It is now fairly late in the afternoon and we want to get to the anchorage during daylight hours.

It was very interesting going out into the Sea from the jetty at Mazatlan.  WOW, you are right in the thick of it immediately!  None of this hour long ride down the estuary.   We are talking rolling waves breaking left and right, wind, rolling seas and what was that noise?  Maybe we should go back....
No, let's raise the main!  Head into the wind.  I guess things were just settling in, that's what I was told and that is what I clung to.  The boat settled in and we turned and headed South with the wind at our back for a really nice motor sail back to Stone Island.  Doug went below, not sure what he does down there but I managed to avoid running into two small tourist catamarans out enjoying the last bit of daylight.

We pulled into the Stone Island anchorage and were immediately invited out for dinner by Stray Cat a boat from the (JA JA).  They came over and picked us up.  We went over to a place called BERNIE'S.  It was a wonderful place with Bernie the donkey making donkey noises.  We ordered shrimp pizza and paralyzing pina coladas.  We have been here ever since making additional dinghy repairs, cleaning the boat and reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment