Sunday, May 9, 2010

Isla Coronados - May 9 - Whales, Dolphins and Mantas oh my!

I am completely amazed at what I can see all in one day!  I was down below in the galley and heard splashing, a lot of splashing!  I thought my dinghy was getting slammed around and filling with water so I came up from below pretty quick.  After checking the status of the dinghy I looked around to see what all the noise was.  There where two humpback whales very near the boat showing off, maybe mating?  It was so amazing!  The water was so clear I could see them under the surface.  They showed me their head, tales and flukes just so I could identify them on my whale card.

The rays (Manta?) were so thick at the anchorage they looked like rocks under the water.  I went out in the dinghy and just floated around with them, it was very cool.

The dolphins are everywhere!  We haven't swam with them yet.

We took the dink about 1/4 the way around this island trying to check out the dive spots on the far side.  The water was so incredibly clear that vis is about 30 feet I would guess.  We decided to turn around and head back to the boat just in time for the wind to crank up to 23 knots!  It was a little bit like spending the night in a washing machine.  Our anchor drug a little bit but we had anchored way away from all the other boat so there was not problem.

We never went ashore at this island.  We did get a visit from the park rangers in a panga boat.  They wanted to see our park passports.  We have had them since November and this was the first time we had been asked to show them.  In hind site we should have waited to buy them until we had to show them.

Here are our pictures and video:

No comments:

Post a Comment